Rory's Marketing Blog

 


For my first blog post, I chose to write about Domino's most recent addition to its brand, which is Apple Carplay. Domino' is the first pizza chain to integrate car play and one of the first fast food companies to do so. This new marketing tactic by Domino's might not seem like the most interesting event to most people but I started working at my local Domino's in Walnut Creek California right when Covid started, and I like to follow along with any new news or updates from them.

The article I read was published by Tasting Table and I believe I originally heard about this through today.com. In the article Senior Vice President, Christopher Thomas-Moore said that Domino's is known to be a leader when it comes to new technology being used in the pizza industry and that this new addition of Apple Car Play is an example of such. Another main point of the article and major reason for this is because Domino's doesn't have drive throughs and they said that car play is a better substitute because you don't have to wait in drive through lines, but you still get the convenience of staying in your car. The third topic discussed in the article and interview with Thomas-Moore was about the Domino's iPhone app and their rewards member system. In order to use the Apple Car Play feature you must have an iPhone with the Domino's app, a car with Apple Car Play, and be a member of the rewards system. 

I believe that a major reason for this addition that they aren't talking about is that not that many people use the Domino's app or are a member of the rewards system and they've been trying new ways to change this for years. I remember about two years ago while I was working there they told us that some of the promotional deals, the better ones, would only be offered via the phone app and that we couldn't apply them to call-in orders anymore. For the location I worked at specifically this was a reasonable change because call-in orders and in-store orders take a lot longer than online ones, and since our store didn't have a seating area this helped increase production and decrease order times. 

The Value Proposition of Domino's is fresh pizza at a convenience. Domino's wants to be seen as the leader and early adopters of new technology and innovation. However, I thought this was a little ironic because when I worked there the computers at the register were totally outdated and the Pulse system we used to take orders must've been at least 10 years old.

In terms of what I learned and what I would do differently, I learned that Domino's is actively trying to be the leader for technology when it comes to the main fast food pizza chains, and that they are still trying to find new ways to get people to use their app and order online. Personally, I think instead of trying to add new things to the phone app and online ordering system they should fix and reorganize the existing problems and technological bugs with the app. All the time when I worked there I would run into frustrated customers who kept trying to order online and frequently had trouble applying coupons to their order and figuring out when it would be completed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Rory's First Blog